RUSSELL W. THOMPSON
1409 Clark Trail, Grand Prairie, Texas 75052
||Unix/Linux (Sysop experience), MVS/XA, Windows XP
||MySQL, IMS, Oracle, FOCUS, Access
September 2012 – August 2014
I was brought on as a consultant to assist and advise in the various
aspects of the company. Duties fell into two main areas. Database Administration
and wireless network developer.
- Database Adminisistration Shop is a Linux/Apache/Tomcat/MySQL/Java shop
running multiple Apache/database servers. My task was to analyze current state
and make recommendations.
- Analyzed current database schema archetecture and made recommendations
as to how to improve throughput.
- Analyzed SQL calls and make recommendations to improve throughput.
- Reviewed installation parameters and backup procedures and provided input.
- Wireless Network Developer Zigbee protocol
- I am a maintenance programmer for a remote gateway that gathers data
from a Zigbee network and forwards that onto a server on the internet.
- I developed a prototype remote data gathering device tracking temperature,
humidity and open sensors onto the zigbee network.
- I designed and co-wrote a two micro control processor watch used
in the detection lf falls.
July, 2003 – Current
I develop and maintain web-based database applications
utilizing PHP and MySQL. I am responsible not only for the
applications listed below, but am the system administrator for the
Linux servers that host these applications. Specific development
- Charity client Tracking System developed in house and
marketed as a service to small community service charities.
- Volunteer tracking system used by a large non-profit
service organization to manage volunteers for their yearly
- Credit card offer acceptance data capture for a group of
- Invoice/statement viewing allowing the client’s customers
to view there documents online.
- Web Emergency Communications Management System for the
Dallas County Medical Reserve Corps communications goup.
- Static web site development.
- Helped maintain the Linux system environment for a
nonprofit religious organization (7 servers) in the Dallas area.
July, 2000 – October, 2002
Keane, Inc. Irving, Texas
Client:TXU: Responsible for software design, development,
testing, and implementation; software maintenance and support;
database administration, performance tuning, and conversions; and
other IT consulting.Specific assignments included:
- Designed, documented, developed, and enhanced COBOL II
applications for CICS/IMS on large utility Customer Information
System. I was on the infrastructure/architecture support team
responsible for the tables data base maintenance and developing
the conversions to enhance the system to support deregulation.
- Developed batch DB/2 report programs
- Designed and developed support clists written in REXX /
ISPF panels to support programmers operations
Oracle Applications Consultant
May, 2000 – July
Kforce, Inc. Dallas, Texas
Client: SWBell: I worked on documenting data flow of cellular
telephone billing system in preparation for upgrade of
software.Oracle resided on Unix boxes.I developed Korn shell
scripts, Cobol and C programs to manipulate the files.
March, 1998 – January, 2000
Keane, Inc. Irving, Texas
Client:Celenase - Responsible for software design,
development, testing, and implementation; software maintenance and
support; database administration, performance tuning, and
conversions; and other IT consulting.Specific assignments
- End user support, custom reporting, production control
and support for a major chemical company using FOCUS for all
business reporting systems (extracted from IMS databases for
sales, shipping, pricing, etc.)
- Lead analyst/programmer for major conversion of FOCUS
databases and reporting systems to new Oracle-based system
(HP-Unix, Oracle tables, Impromptu queries).Responsibilities
included table modeling, coding and testing of conversion
routines and writing reports in Oracle and Impromptu to validate
- Y2K certification for a customer relationship management
system (Oracle-based).This included all test design, as well as
test execution and tracking.
- Obtained Oracle Certificated Database Administrator for Oracle Release 7 and 8.1.
Senior/Lead Network Engineer September, 1992 - March, 1998
St. Paul Medical Center Dallas, Texas
Responsible for all network management functions (Novell
LAN) of 16+ servers and over 200 nodes:
- Planned, managed and implemented major network
expansion from Arcnet to Ethernet, including all network
planning/wiring diagrams, hub installation, and coordination
- Planned, managed and implemented network installations
for department relocations.
- Performed all network management/administration functions
on Novell 3.x and 4.X servers.
- Provided (and led) internal development projects in C and
Clipper to provide tools for network statistics
- Supervised a team of three information systems
- Obtained CNE certification frm Novell for 3.X and 4.X
Independent Contract Consultant
November, 1985 -
RHEMA Systems, Inc. Irving, Texas
Responsible for analysis, design, programming, testing,
implementation and user support for financial and operational
systems in FOCUS, PL/I, COBOL, Microsoft C, Lotus Macro
Language, and Clipper.
- Served as project lead to upgrade on-line education
tracking system. Performed date base modeling working closely
with DBA community using IEF.
- Other projects included financial systems, records
management systems, and a recruiting tracking/reporting system
- Developed PC based programs in Microsoft C.
- Major clients included Mobil Oil, St. Paul Medical
Center, and Daughters of Charity National Health System
June, 1979 - October, 1985
ARCO Oil and Gas Company Dallas, Texas
Productivity Aids Department
Responsible for process and functional analysis to identify
ways to optimize personal productivity through technology
usage.Technologies applied included FOCUS, COBOL, SPF, MARKIV on
IBM 30xx MVS systems; and MS/DOS, BASIC, FOCUS and other
workstation products on the IBM PC.
Systems and Programming Department
Responsible for design, development, testing, and
implementation of financial, operational, and land-related
programs. Technologies included COBOL, CICS-DL/1, and IMS DB/DC
on a 30xx mainframe.Supported systems ranged from traditional
business systems to equipment maintenance systems.
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Fort Worth,
Studied for a Masters of Lay Theology Degree.
Corpus Christi State University, Corpus Christi, Texas
Computer Science, May 1979 magna cum laude
Tarrant County Jr. College, Hurst, Texas.
Associate Degree, Applied Science in Data Processing, May 1977
I have Cerebral Palsy (a disability resulting from damage
to the brain during birth which is outwardly manifested by a
lack of muscular coordination and speech disturbances). I am
wheelchair bound and my speech is slightly slurred.As
demonstrated by my professional and educational accomplishments,
this does not affect my technical skills or ability to deliver